Friday, December 3, 2021

Place on the Wheel by Don Taco

Place On The Wheel


my grandpa arrived on a boat in the night

and moved into the wrong neighborhood

he was treated like dirt for being the wrong color

but he always knew just where he stood


he never even finished high school

people handed him a raft of shit

but he could pick up a carburetor blindfold

and tell you what engine it fit


my old man’s a refrigerator repairman

heh, naw, nothing as glamorous as that

he pushed paper around a desk for almost twenty years

when he was gone, they forgot him just like that


he raised six kids before the cancer took him

at least, given the time he had, he tried

he didn’t manage to show us how to fit in the mold

I was only thirteen when he died


my uncle should have been a junkman

they tried to make him a physicist

they counted up every time he punched the clock late

and every meeting he missed


he said I always work forty hours, and more

and the work’s always done, and done well

but he never discovered a way to fit in

his private version of corporate hell


one of my younger brothers is already gone

the cancer took him   just like dad

played the twelve string guitar for fifty-five years

that’s sixteen more than his father had


so there are the things I grew up with

what it’s like to be my family

I don’t know if a lesson’s there for you

I don’t know what it says about me


everybody’s got their own place on the wheel

their own niche   their own length of the thread

when you’re done trying to make any sense out of this

douse the lights   say goodnight   go to bed


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blood and Sand by Paul Delgado

 Blood and Sand Paul Delgado When I was thirteen, I wanted to be a Matador. I must have read I’ll Dress You in Mourning by Dominique La Pier...