Sunday, April 25, 2021

Mateo Character Exercise by Rick Thues

 Mateo


His smile was all I needed to know.


Mateo De León has a drywall and painting business. It is just him. 

He is a dark haired 5’6” 50 year old with smiling educated eyes. He speaks with a thick Spanish accent.


Mateo painted the interior of my house three years ago. There were challenges. The drywall seams were showing and cracks in the drywall were becoming unsightly. Mateo patched and painted the walls so expertly that the cracks were no longer visible. They have not reappeared in three years. A snowstorm passed through while he was painting and struggled with the paint drying properly. Whatever magic incantations he spoke, the paint cured properly and the quality is obvious.


I would consider no one else to paint the exterior of my house.

i called Mateo.


We agreed to begin on a day in April, after the freeze and before the heat of summer.

An hour before his arrival I realized I had not told him my address.

Here is the text:

“Mateo, my address is 111 Skylark Way, Townsend, CA. I forgot to tell you.”

“I just came to your gate. Open for me?”

“Come on in.”

Mateo had remembered my house from three years previous.


I met him when he pulled up my drive.


“Nice to see you again Mateo.”

“Hola Mr. Thomas. Good see you.”

“Call me Tyler. Thank you for coming all this way.”

“I only live 1 hour away. Am happy to paint you.”


What followed was chit chat about each other’s families as we walked the house and garage. I pointed out concerning areas of peeling paint and rot. At every concern Mateo said, “I take care.”


After the walk around I asked, “How much do you think this will cost?”

It did not matter to me what he said because I knew that he would not charge enough. It is just the way he is.


“I figure it out and tell you in a few minutes Tyler.”

He walked the house again with his clipboard, sat in the truck for 10 minutes, then came up to me with a total.

“With labor and all materials it is $3,650.”

Knowing his tendency to under bid I said, “Make it $4,000 and it is a deal.”

“Thank you,” he said.


Mateo immediately put up the 22’ extension ladder and scrambled up to the roof to inspect the gables and dormers.

“You are a braver man than I am,” I said.

“I get helpers to go on scary parts of roof. I hold ladder.”

I smiled to myself at that comment because even though I have bungee jumped, I have never been on my roof. It is far too dangerous for me.


The painting went as planned. The damaged wood is invisible and the house looks great. When all was done the yard looked like Mateo had never been there.


When I made the final payment I added a tip and handed Mateo the check.

“You are the best Mateo. I am so happy we found each other.”

“I like you too Mr. Thomas… err Tyler.”


His smile was all I needed to know.”







Mateo De León


Role in Story

Painter



Goal

To paint the owner’s house



Physical Description

Hispanic, smiling with educated eyes. 5’6”, dark hair medium length. 50 years old, still spry able to climb ladders and walk on roofs. Speaks with a thick Spanish accent.



Personality

Happy. Interested in others. Can analyze a situation for its most efficient approach. Able to be flexible when needed. Tends to be too generous.



Occupation

Painter and drywall expert.



Habits/Mannerisms

Approaches projects with caution, but engages in the work with enthusiasm.



Background

Was a referral from 3 years previous from a homeowner’s contact. Painted the interior of the homeowner’s house 3 years ago. Interior painted concluded well, but the challenges were numerous, including drywall seam repairs and cold weather that slowed the paint drying. Has worked in painting and drywall for over 30 years.



Internal Conflicts

Hesitant to charge enough for projects. His desire to be liked results in an abundance of generousity.



External Conflicts

Works for a roofing contractor’s side jobs and for a painting contractor. This results in loyalty and scheduling difficulties with his private jobs.



Notes

In this story the homeowner hires Mateo to paint the outside of the house.


*******************************************************************************************



Tyler Thomas


Role in Story

Homeowner who hires a painter.



Goal

For a painter to paint the exterior of Tyler’s house.



Physical Description

Retired 68 year old. Long hair and beard. Likes to wear a straw hat. Since moving to a rural area has acquired a farmer’s physique from chores around the property. Tyler is capable of many physical projects.



Personality

College educated former consultant who likes people and can usually speak their technical/professional language. Wants to be fair. Defers to the professional’s judgement.



Occupation

Retired. Works around his property doing maintenance and improvement projects.



Habits/Mannerisms

Enjoys the slow pace of retired life and trusts others to help him when he needs it.



Background

Retired consultant, college educated, Catholic upbringing.



Internal Conflicts

Would like to do everything for himself and struggles to delegate tasks outside his bailiwick. 



External Conflicts

Wants to be frugal with his spending, but tends to be generous with deserving people.



Notes

The painter that Tyler hires painted his house 3 years ago. The job went very well in spite of several challenges.


****************************************************************************************






No comments:

Post a Comment

Blood and Sand by Paul Delgado

 Blood and Sand Paul Delgado When I was thirteen, I wanted to be a Matador. I must have read I’ll Dress You in Mourning by Dominique La Pier...