Thursday, February 25, 2021

Rats by Don Taco

    It's been one of those weeks. The crisis du jour has been complemented each day by unexpected trips to the emergency room, a failure or three in the fire panel, the second round of vaccinations, Ikea-style furniture to assemble that arrived damaged and has no instruction sheet to find out how to get replacement parts, an unanticipated  scooter to build, new covid rules, and I could go on.


 I'm much further behind than I was last week, in spite of being way ahead on hours. So yesterday morning, I walk in and the place is abuzz because a very large, like probably 35 pounds, rodent is running around on the lawn on the boggy end of the building, bold as you please in the daylight. Probably a nutria. It let people get close enough to take decent photos. When I go look, it has wandered off or gone to ground. Within ten minutes of this, and, mind you, I have just walked into the building, all I've done so far is put on a mask, punch in, and look for the nutria, another employee comes from the other end of the building and asks me if I know about the dead possum. Okay, and sure enough, there's a large dead possum on the back lawn. Probably 25 pounds, blood all over its face, and are you sure it's dead? Have to put back together a torn down box from the recycling, shovel the carcass into it, and toss that into the dumpster. Whee. 


I can't wait to get to work today. What new unexpected pleasures lie in store? More rodent sightings? It's our second round of the vaccine and how many employees will complain of a fever and leave us short-handed? Smart to do them all at once. Oh, and the check engine light just came on in the bus. The company bus. Mine's been on all month.

1 comment:

Blood and Sand by Paul Delgado

 Blood and Sand Paul Delgado When I was thirteen, I wanted to be a Matador. I must have read I’ll Dress You in Mourning by Dominique La Pier...