Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Art Turns Romantic by Don Taco (copyright 2018 )

Art Turns Romantic 
by Don Taco


we're born alone, there's no denying that
we die alone, they say that can be tough
but in between, if we get lucky, just the way I did
there's us, there's you and me, and all our stuff
there's folks who see no value in what others have cast out
they don't see why you'd gather things and keep them lying about
I guess they've never been so poor they had to wheel and deal
or fret about what they could sell to purchase their next meal
there's no one you can bluff, the times are always tough
it's vitally important to have stuff
we die alone, no matter who's around
we're born alone, hands empty, in the buff
but in between, if we get lucky, just the way I did
there's us, there's you and me, and all our stuff
I had a carburetor once, well, part of it, at least
my neighbors turned their noses up, they just saw rust and grease
a man came by one day who was restoring salvaged tanks
he paid me ninety dollars and gave his eternal thanks
when push comes down to shove, like diamonds in the rough
it's vitally important to have stuff
we live alone, until we find a mate
a mate who fits our hand just like a glove
and after that, if we get lucky, just the way I did
there's you and me and all the stuff we love
there's folks who say the stuff we own defines us and our needs
and others who think you can have enough, they call it greed
if there's one thing I've learned, one thing I know without a doubt
you never know what's valuable until you throw it out (not that we've ever done that)
don't give me any guff, I can't say it enough
it's vitally important to have stuff
Him: your stuff or mine?
Her: how can I decide?? can't we keep both???
(They gaze longingly and embrace)
and I would share my stuff with you, my stuff could all be yours
collecting more and sorting could become our favorite chores
and you could share your stuff with me, your stuff could all be mine
and we could gather more stuff all the time
there's us, there's you and me, a couple old console teevees
a cast iron skillet just like gramma had, the handle's bad
a dozen broken stoves, some hubcaps we found by the road
the national geographics from the year mom married dad
there's us, there's you and me, aluminum fake christmas trees
the tupperware mom had when we were kids, without the lids
some things that don't have names, a lot of old bicycle frames
and bricks, enough to build the pyramids
they're trying to make us make out like we can make do with less
we have no choice, we have to call their bluff
they just don't comprehend the value of this stuff, I guess
I'm not convinced we'll ever have enough
how can they call it greed, they don't know what you'll need
you can't pursue the arts, if you don't have the parts
the times are always rough, I hope we have enough
it's vitally important to have stuff
there's only you and me against the world wth all our stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blood and Sand by Paul Delgado

 Blood and Sand Paul Delgado When I was thirteen, I wanted to be a Matador. I must have read I’ll Dress You in Mourning by Dominique La Pier...