Monday, March 13, 2023

Mabuhay! (Hooray!) Paul Delgado

 Mabuhay! (Hooray!)

Paul Delgado

In 2000, my family and I were living in Cebu, Philippines, which was a happy time in our lives. We loved Asia and little did we know that we would spend the next fourteen years in that part of the world. At the time, my son, Cristian (Coco), was a junior at the Cebu International School (CIS), doing well academically and in sports. He was one of those charismatic individuals who was very popular on campus and a colorful character to say the least. More often than not, he found himself in the Headmasters office accounting for his good-natured antics.

Apart from his classroom shenanigans, he had a serious side and a special place in his heart for the younger kids in the elementary program. He spent many hours of his personal time coaching and playing along with the little ones on the soccer field.

That fall semester, he decided to run for student body Public Relations Officer. I questioned him about his commitment as it would require a serious bit of work, but he said he wanted to tackle it. I wasn't totally convinced that he was ready to take on the responsibility as much as he wanted to revel in the limelight, but okay... Here we go!

The other candidate for the position was a very talented young Korean girl, Ms. Kim. She was a top student and very driven. She was more than capable of handling the position. A few weeks passed, and the school held a student body meeting in the Gymnasium where the candidates could outline their vision and explain how they would be the right choice.

Ms. Kim stepped up to the podium and methodically explained how she would represent CIS to the local community. She also shared her passion and love for the school. After she left the stage, Coco walked up to the podium and delivered an impassioned and fiery speech.

"Students and parents of CIS!!" he called out to the jam-packed auditorium, "If elected, these are my promises and you can count on them! I will raise our teacherssalaries! I will widen Talamban Road! I will bring in new government funding for the school! I will ensure more holidays for students! I will shorten classroom sessions to four hours per day! I will bring in new catering services for lunch! I will extend summer vacation! These are my promises, and I will keep them!"

At that moment, his buddies in the bleachers began shouting on cue. "Mabuhay Coco! Mabuhay!!" In a minute, the entire auditorium began chanting "Mabuhay Coco, Mabuhay!" He stepped down from the podium to thunderous applause. The headmaster and staff could only shake their heads and laugh. Only Coco! Needless to say, he won the election by a landslide.

A few days later, I asked him if he was ready to get serious and undertake the duties he was elected to perform. "Actually dad," he said, "I spoke to the headmaster today and told him I would not be taking the job. Ms. Kim is the one who really deserves it!" All I could say was, "Mabuhay Coco! Well done!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blood and Sand by Paul Delgado

 Blood and Sand Paul Delgado When I was thirteen, I wanted to be a Matador. I must have read I’ll Dress You in Mourning by Dominique La Pier...