Thursday, November 10, 2022

Uncommon Kindness The Power of One by Paul Delgado

 Uncommon Kindness

The Power of One


About eight years ago, my wife and I moved back from the Philippines. After twenty years in the aerospace industry living overseas, it was good to be home and close to the kids and grandkids.

Upon my return, I contemplated retiring, but was asked to head up an Aerostructures Division in San Diego. I decided to take the opportunity and it turned out to be a great decision as my new team was fabulous. 

Anyways, that first Christmas home, an industrial engineer, Sam, who worked on manufacturing improvements at the plant stopped by my office. 

He explained that every holiday season he collected clothes for the homeless and asked me if he could place a box in the lobby for employees to drop off any clothes they would like to donate. 

He went on to explain that he would take the clothes to the various homeless encampments around our area and distribute them to the needy.

I agreed and commended him on his efforts. 

When I got home, I told my wife of Sam’s efforts, and the following day she showed up at the plant with four dozen new socks she purchased at Target. 

As she wisely said, “Everyone deserves a new pair of socks for Christmas!”

Putting them in the box, along with the clothes from our employees, Sam was delighted. He said, “I’ll be taking the clothes this weekend and distribute.”

The following Monday, Sam, distraught, came into my office

I asked him what was wrong, and he said “Sadly, I have to report it looks like one of our employees stole the brand new socks that Mrs. Delgado donated. 

“We don’t know who, but I am really upset someone would do such a thing.”

I told him unfortunately these things happen and not to worry. I called my wife who replaced them right away.

On Christmas Eve, armed with the bundle of new socks, Sam set out again to distribute them.

A couple of days later and back at work. I asked Sam to report out at our weekly all hands meeting and let everyone know the outcome of his kind act of generosity.

Sam humbly stepped up to the podium and explained the outcome of his efforts in distributing the clothing. When it came to the socks, his words brought tears to the assembled workforce.

He said, “I don’t know which one of you stole the socks, but when I distributed them to these poor homeless people who have nothing, they were so grateful.”

Sam choked up and then said, ”I was down to the last pair of new socks and I stopped at a tent of a very elderly man. I began to hand him the last pair and wish him a Merry Christmas.

The old man, shook his head and then pointed to a pathetic hovel a few tents away and said,

“Thank you and Merry Christmas, but please give them to that guy, he is in much worse shape than me.”

There was a stunned silence on the factory floor as all hands took in his words.

Sam then quietly said…”I don’t know who in this plant took the socks, but I hope you needed them more than he did.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blood and Sand by Paul Delgado

 Blood and Sand Paul Delgado When I was thirteen, I wanted to be a Matador. I must have read I’ll Dress You in Mourning by Dominique La Pier...