Sunday, October 16, 2022

Against All Odds: Call *347 by Mark Farenbaugh

 

Against All Odds

Call *347


I was southbound on Florida’s Interstate 95, approaching downtown Miami. The highway

curves its way through the city, and once past it, ends at the coastal highway #1.

As I am nearing the city by 25 miles, I see a repeat of the very useful alert signs showing a Silver

Alert – missing old guy.

After about the third one, I wonder how I would respond: bla, bla, bla….tell someone about the

alert. Should be easy. I start memorizing the alert – Silver alert, Toyota Corolla, White, 2006,

license plate CFZ 152. Call -- *347.

The defect the system has is that it shows two pieces of information, and by the time you get

close enough to read the first one, you pass it. Overcome by car velocity. No idea what the

second part says. I start criticizing the system. Why don’t they just quickly show that there is

an alert, one second, then dwell longer on the pertinent information of the car? Geez.

“Okay, get over it and start practicing.” I say to myself. Someday you just might see something.

Be ready!…. first, where am I? No idea except that I can see the Miami buildings getting closer.

Useless.

“I expect better,” I mutter to myself. “This isn’t your first rodeo with operations,” I think.

I see a mile marker and start talking, “This is Mark. How are you?” What?! They don’t care!

Try again. “Hello, this is Mark. I am southbound on 95. I mean Interstate 95. Marker 15. I

mean mile marker 15. I see your car. I mean, your car on the alert system….” I stop talking.

I try again. Better.

And again. Better.

And again. Better.

Then, I see a bevy of motorcycles approaching in the rearview mirror. Lots of them. They are

closing fast. Shit, I better get over to the right. The slow lane is safer.

I make it safely to the right lane. I see a mile marker go by and start my verbal practice again.

Then, I stop. Another car has overtaken me and moved into the slow lane. Right in front of me.

It’s a white Toyota Corolla. License plate CFZ 152.


No way. What are the odds that I would see a Silver Alert car? Why was I preparing at this

moment in time?

I dial: *347.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blood and Sand by Paul Delgado

 Blood and Sand Paul Delgado When I was thirteen, I wanted to be a Matador. I must have read I’ll Dress You in Mourning by Dominique La Pier...