Thursday, September 2, 2021

The Jackpot Paul Delgado

 





The Jackpot


It was an overcast summer morning in 1963 and my dad and I were going to Ensenada for a fishing weekend. The weather was typical Southern California June gloom, but that didn’t dampen my enthusiasm. I was “over the moon” to be driving in our Chevy pickup truck for a special weekend with just my dad. 

I was in 5th grade and felt ten feet tall as I hopped into the truck. Our saltwater gear was loaded up and we were ready to go. Dad gave mom a kiss as she stood in her apron with my little brother and sisters. And then we waved goodbye as we pulled out of the driveway. I had on my sailor cap and was ready for adventure.

As we drove down the coast on I-5, we passed Camp Pendelton and the Power station by Carlsbad. The flower fields were in bloom and it was a spectacular drive as the marine layer had burned off and the ocean was a deep blue. Driving past San Diego, I was in awe of the Navy ships in port. Later we made it to San Ysidro and picked up some car insurance at the Mexi-Insur drive through.

When we crossed the border in Tijuana, the sights and sounds were all new. Tijuana was bustling with life and with windows down, the smell of street taco stands and open fire barbeques filled my senses. 

Negotiating our way through the busy streets of Tijuana to the coast highway, dad put on a local radio station and we listened to Norteno music. I was captivated by the experience and hooked on Mexico! I remember driving by a billboard advertising 7up…The sign read…Goce la Vida! (Enjoy Life!). Boy, was I ever enjoying this!

The new freeway from Tijuana to Ensenada hadn’t been built yet so we had to take the old Highway which wound its way along the coast through sleepy fishing towns. 

Driving in the late afternoon, we passed Rosarito, Cantamar, La Mission and finally made it to Ensenada. The rugged coastline was beautiful and the ocean sparkled like diamonds. The smell of the ocean and humid air “south of the border” was so unique. Everything was so different and new. 

Arriving in downtown Ensenada, we checked in at the venerable Bahia hotel, a small 50’s style architectural classic. The bell man took our bags and we got to our small room with twin beds. Later that evening, we walked along the main street among vendors and street stands with delicious seafood appetizers and then had dinner at a small restaurant with an open grill called El Venado. Their specialty of BBQ chicken with tortillas and frijoles and salsa was fabulous. (I think those guys were the early model for El pollo loco!) LOL!


Afterwards, we picked up a few small gifts for the family and then hit the sack as the next day would be a very early up.

5AM came around much earlier than expected and we walked down from the hotel to the wharf where the fishing boat was tied up. There were probably about twenty five anglers aboard and we found a spot along the railing and got our tack ready.

After powering out of Ensenada Bay for about an hour, the “Capitano” arrived at his first “good spot”. As he slowed down, he asked who would like to join the jackpot. The winner would be the fisherman who caught the biggest fish that day. I remember there was a big clear glass jar filled with water. The ante was five dollars each. My dad put in five for me. 

Looking at the many five dollar bills floating in the jar, I was captivated. Counting the bills floating of those who played, the jackpot for the biggest fish would be about $75.00!…A veritable treasure to me back then!

As the anchor dropped, everybody had their lines in the water and the fishing was good. Lots of Sea Bass and Bonita and Sculpin. But no big fish yet.

After a while we moved on to another spot, and the fishing was also good. I was intent on catching “the big one”  but I was worried every time someone pulled in a fish. Up to that point, no one seemed to have reeled in a true winner.

But then, right then and there, my reel starts screaming and my salt water rod is bending like crazy. I was trying mightily just to hang on. My dad and one of the deck hands helped me fight “the big one!” About fifteen minutes later. I finally pull the fish close to the boat and the deck hand skillfully gaffs it and brought it aboard. 

Wow!!…A gigantic Barracuda. All the guys on the deck cheer and clap!…Man oh man…The jackpot is in reach!!

I put my Barracuda into my burlap gunny sack and we moved on to the last fishing spot the Capitano says was really good and his very favorite. This would be the last stop before returning to port.

Feeling pretty good that my fish was going to be the champ, I was still worried somebody might catch a bigger one.

During the course of the day, I was fishing next to two other kids about my age. They were having a great time. They had caught a few fish and were excited every time they brought one aboard. Their grandpa had spent most of the morning sleeping on a bench at the rear of the boat, but, seemed pleased his grandsons were having a good time. 

Dropping our lines into the water at the last stop was nerve wracking. Every time some one caught a fish, I would run over and check its size. So far so good.

When finally, the Capitano tells everyone to reel it in as we’d be leaving shortly for port. 

Right about then, the old grandpa sits up and stretches and walks over to his grandsons and asks if he could have a try. 

“Sure Grandpa!” they reply

The Capitano had started up the engines as the old grandpa makes a beautiful cast off the rail. 

I could hear the rattling sound of the anchor coming up and the engines revving and thinking…I did it!

All of a sudden…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…..The grandpa’s reel starts screaming and he’s fighting a whopper…..Ayiieeeee!

The Capitano throttles back the engine as the old grandpa fights a very big fish!

After about ten minutes, he pulls aboard a big yellowtail.

Noooooooooooooooo!

As we get underway, and powering back to Ensenada, the contenders for the jackpot take their fish aft for the weigh off……Mine gets on the scale balance and no fish has come close…

But then the old grandpa puts his fish on the balance… 

Noooooooooooo!  

The Old Grandpa wins!

Oh man I was bummed! 

As we pulled ashore, all the fisherman, gave me a pat on the back and said “well done” but I was disappointed having come so close and lost.

Back on the wharf, we put the Barracuda and the other fish in the ice box and packed up our gear and began the drive back to La Mirada.

As we were driving north along the Baja coast, the sunset was beautiful and I remember the gentle smile on my dad’s face when he said, “I’m sorry you didn’t win the jackpot Paul” 

Years later, thinking about that weekend and remembering the love in my dad’s eyes…I thought…

”Actually, I did win the jackpot that weekend.

Thanks Dad




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blood and Sand by Paul Delgado

 Blood and Sand Paul Delgado When I was thirteen, I wanted to be a Matador. I must have read I’ll Dress You in Mourning by Dominique La Pier...